June 10, 2013 Guilty or Guilt-Free?
This past week has been filled with celebrations for my family. My younger sister went to Prom and graduated from high school, and my older sister celebrated her birthday. With these celebrations came lots of fun, family time, and most importantly… food. To get “back on track” after everyone’s diets were derailed, I decided to prepare a guilt-free dessert to satisfy any sweet tooth in a healthy way. These personal-sized raw coconut cream pies are every bit as delicious as the “real deal” but left us feeling nourished and satisfied! Although the recipe says to defrost the pies, we all enjoyed them most when eaten frozen — they taste almost like ice cream sandwiches!
Raw Coconut Cream Pie with Dark Chocolate Crust
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Yield: Makes 12 Personal Size Pies
- 1/2 Cup Raw Cashews or Macadamia Nuts
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Plain Coconut
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 Tbsp Agave
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa
- Dash of Salt
- 1 1/4 Cup Coconut Cream (*Refrigerate a can of coconut milk for 24-48 hours and skim thick, white milk from the top, leaving remaining oil at bottom of can)
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
- 3-4 Tbsp Agave
- 1 Banana
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Place crust ingredients in your food processor and blend until smooth.
- Spray a muffin tin with a healthy, non-stick cooking spray.
- Evenly press dough down into muffin tin.
- Place in the freezer.
- Place all filling ingredients in a separate food processor bowl (or washed bowl) and blend until smooth.
- Remove crust from freezer.
- Evenly top crust with coconut cream filling.
- Place in the freezer and let set for 2-3 hours.
- Remove from freezer and let thaw for 10-15 minutes before serving (depending on the texture you choose).
- Feel free to top these with coconut whipped cream and/or shredded coconut.