May 29, 2011 Just as good as they look
I knew I had the recipe for these cupcakes tucked away and when my dad came home with a flat (12 pints) of strawberries one evening, I figured it was the perfect time to resurrect it. As evidenced by the photos, the cupcakes were SO pretty, and yeah, they were just as good as they look. The strawberry flavor isn’t super strong, but it is a nice undertone… it’s more like a vanilla cupcake infused with fresh strawberries, as opposed to a completely strawberry cake.
Strawberry Cupcakes – Sprinkles Cupcakes
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen whole strawberries (thawed if frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , sifted
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. coarse salt
- 1/4 cup whole milk , room temperature
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter , room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg , room temperature
- 2 large egg whites , room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.
- Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. You should have about 1/3 cup of puree. Add a few more strawberries if necessary, or save any extra puree for frosting; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla and strawberry puree; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.
- 1/2 cup frozen whole strawberries , thawed
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter , firm and slightly cold
- Pinch coarse salt
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar , sifted
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Place strawberries in the bowl of a small food processor; process until pureed. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Reduce mixer speed and slowly add confectioners’ sugar; beat until well combined.
- Add vanilla and 3 tablespoons strawberry puree (save any remaining strawberry puree for another use); mix until just blended. Do not overmix, or frosting will incorporate too much air. Frosting consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice cream.